jueves, 22 de abril de 2010


Leyla's story!



1990


Flight to Bremen. I'm too young to understand it. Then the large family and almost all siblings are younger than me and I have very often take care of my brothers and sisters and help my mother in the household. 7 boys and 3 girls. If I was at least one boy, then things would be easier. Everything is too much. I have to be traversed. My opinion is also important, but I will not be heard. Many tears of despair, I run along the cheek. I stay strong and realize I'm going to grow up too early. I have to look forward. The road is my goal.


1998


Fourth class: I should go in the special school. A shock! Many misunderstandings. But I speak German. I'm just shy, and I see something different than the others. I take my courage speak with the teacher and repeat the fourth grade. Although my teacher tells me if I repeat now the fourth grade and later visit the school, improving not my chances. But I sit by me! I learned when I want to achieve something, I must open my mouth! My family could not help me so I must help myself!


2002


Orientation stage: My teacher suggested me to go to school. Of my parents were married there is little support; girls and take care of the family - there is not an education is so important. I will stay strong - I sit by and visit the school. I am sure that I can achieve my goal.


2005


I make my secondary school - and not all that bad. The seriousness of life begins. My cousin gives me the hint me as a Pharmaceutical Assistant (PTA to apply). The first job. It works. But then I realize that the decision was a mistake. I am not convinced, let me skip school to infect. Everything is too much: family, friends, education, and then the foreign country, another culture. A year passes. I break from training.


2007


There must be something I make, I'm desperate, what should I do ". I am applying again. This time for a school-based training as an educator. I get the point. Soon come to doubt. I want to cancel. I hear from PickUp. Now accept more help. I do not act as weak? I overcome myself go, and. It is unusual to ask for help. Birgit says, the job is right for me. I get back more. There are people who believe just in me. Soon I can believe in me again and I will self-confident.


The training break? Long gone!


2008


Lady Luck has left me not. Dr. Tomandl from Hospital of Bremen Middle / East is at PickUP my mentor. He wants to do something good - not just donate anonymously. Dr Tomandl says he would like to track my development. I will absolutely make the training ended, because we in Germany necessarily more educators would need with a migration background. He asks what I need. Will create a wish list, I do not know what the world! This man wants to help me really easy - he has it?. We buy a laptop for me so I can work in peace for training. We talk about tutoring. And Dr. Tomandl financed everything. I am ashamed for my neighborhood and the environment in which I live. But I want that dr. Tomandl understands where I come from and who I am. So I invite the team of PickUp and Dr. Tomandl with us a woman to go home for dinner. I'm excited, important people learn from my life to know my culture and my family. I am glad that everything went well. I'm very relieved.


2009


By Birgit from PickUp I heared about the Grundtvig-project "Without Barriers". Birgit would ask me if I join it. I am happy about it. There are people who really believe in me. I agree with and do. I learn quickly and put everything at 1:1. I pass on my experiences to young people. Next I develop.


In 2010


Now, my training is almost finished, I put in the middle of exams and apply for recognition of the one-year internship. After that, I would like to make the University student and study perhaps. I think the work that make Birgit and her colleagues very interesting and would also like to work as a social worker. With a completed degree course, I have to work a lot more opportunities in the areas that interest me. "But everything first step by step ..."

2 comentarios:

Grete Aakerstrom dijo...

"Things take time" - we say in Norway, and your story, Leyla, shows that it is correct. It is also important not to give up, even if there are difficulties. I am glad you are succeding!

Pedro Cantero dijo...

Thank you Birgit for your emotive article. Its really interesting to know their stories. We always can and must learn of them.